- June 1st – Professional Artists registration closes. Sample images and bio (in a Word doc) must be emailed to email@example.com.
- June 15th – Professional Artists are notified of their acceptance to participate in the Professional Category (may occur prior to June 15th based on speed of jurying process)
- July 1st – Professional Artists fees are due. If fees are unpaid/notification of fees being in the mail is not made, an artist’s spot may be given to someone on the Paint Dexter Wait List.
- July 1st – Emerging Artist registration closes.
- July 15th – Emerging Artists fees are due. If fees are unpaid/notification of fees being in the mail is not made, an artist’s spot may be given to someone on the Paint Dexter Wait List.
Artist Guide & Participation Requirements
Artists participate in the Paint Dexter Plein Air Festival in one of two categories: Professional or Emerging.
All participating artists must meet certain basic requirements. Artists interested in participating in the Professional Artists category have additional requirements.
See the appropriate section below to understand your participation requirements.
General Participation Requirements
- You must be 18 years or older.
- You must CHECK-IN at one of the scheduled check-in times and have your papers or canvases stamped
- You can have as many canvasses stamped as you want.
- You may only submit to the Festival up to three (3) main competition pieces created during the week, one (1) quick draw piece created during the Friday Quick Draw, and up to 2 reserve pieces, which may be pieces created this year or created during prior Paint Dexter Plein Air Festivals. Reserves may be initially restricted to Professionals upon check-in, but open to Emerging artists at noon on Saturday.
- Watercolor “block pads” will not be stamped at check-in. Single sheets of paper only.
- All work must be created solely by the artist and done completely from life (no painting from images).
- All work must be completed within Dexter Community School District and Lima Township east of Chelsea. Map link.
- No mechanical or photographic assistance is to be employed.
- All work is to be completed during the Paint Dexter Plein Air Festival (current or prior).
- Painting is permitted outdoors at night.
Professional Artists Participation Requirements
To participate in the Paint Dexter Plein Air Competition as a professional, you must submit examples of your work for review by a Paint Dexter’s jury panel. If you are selected, you will receive an invitation to participate for the prize money in the professional artist category.
A limited number of professional artists will be selected to compete and exhibit. This juried event is open to all artists 18 years and older and all mediums including oils, acrylics, watercolor, gouache and pastels.
Below are the basic requirements to participate in the professional artist competition:
- Complete the Plein Air Registration form and select the “Professional” competition category
- Select how many paintings you plan to enter in the competition.
- Indicate if you plan to participate in the Quick Draw Competition.
- Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by replying to your Registration Confirmation email
- Attach three (3) digital images of artwork you created for judging by the jury (see details below)
- A short bio describing yourself (one page maximum)
- The Jury will review all submissions and select a limited number of artists to invite.
- Professional award winners from the immediate prior year are not subject to jury selection but still need to register to participate.
- If invited to participate as a professional, send your registration fees before August via credit card or check to City of Dexter.
Emerging Artists Participation Requirements
To participate in the Paint Dexter Plein Air Competition as an emerging artist you should start by reviewing the artist’s guide. Registration and a participation fee are required to participate.
A limited number of emerging artists are accepted to compete and exhibit first come first serviced. This event is open to all artists 18 years and older and all mediums including oils, acrylics, watercolor, gouache and pastels.
Below are the basic requirements to participate in the emerging artist competition.
- Complete the Online Registration form and select the “Emerging” competition category
- Select how many paintings you plan to enter in the competition
- Indicate if you plan to participate in the Quick Draw Competition
- Receive an email confirmation with fee reminder
- Send your registration fees before by your respective deadline via check or online to the City of Dexter.
Physical Artwork Submission Requirements
- All paintings must begin on a white or toned ground.
- Artwork size must be no larger than 24” (including frame) on any side.
- Frames should not exceed 4” in width.
- Unframed gallery wrapped art must be at least 1” in depth and edges must be pre-painted with an acrylic paint.
- Watercolor “block pads” will not be stamped at check-in. Single sheets of paper only.
- Work on paper must be framed and under glass/Plexiglas.
- Don’t forget to sign your artwork.
- Only artwork stamped and painted during the week can be sold. Festival staff must be able to check the back of the canvass or paper for the stamp prior to framing/hanging.
- All artwork submitted for competition must be for sale.
- Selling of artwork outside the festival is discouraged and contrary to the spirit of the festival.
- Price your paintings commensurate with your normal pricing structure plus shipping.
- The Dexter Arts, Culture & Heritage Committee and Paint Dexter Plein Air Festival representatives reserve the right to disqualify any work deemed objectionable or that does not adhere to the rules and guidelines of the competition. All decisions of representatives of the Dexter Arts, Culture & Heritage Committee and Paint Dexter Plein Air Festival will be final.
Sample Artwork Submission Requirements
To gain entry as a professional artists, applicants must submit three (3) digital images of their work and an artist bio. Images should be saved as separate jpeg files at 300 dpi, each labeled with your name, title of the piece, dimensions, medium and substrate (e.g. Claude Monet “Water Lilies #17”, 9”x12” oil on panel).
No single file should exceed 2MB in size. All images must be of original “plein air” artwork, created by the applicant artist within the past two years.
All entries must be submitted by June 1st and emailed to email@example.com.
- Complete the Online Registration form
- For the JURY images and bio, please add the words “Professional Festival Entry” to the subject line
- Your bio should be e-mailed to the same email address with your images.
- Please provide your bio in plain text if possible (no pdfs)
- At artist discretion, we will create a dedicated page highlighting you and your juried images.
Notifications will be emailed to all artist applicants by the end of June. A list of accepted artists will also be posted here in June.
|Monday||8:00 – 10:00am||Artist Check-in #1 at Tent in Monument Park|
|Starting at 8:00am||Artists paint in and around Dexter|
|Tuesday||All Day||Artists paint in and around Dexter|
|8:00am – 10:00am||Artist Check-in #2 at Tent in Monument Park|
|5:30pm – 6:00pm||Artist Check-in #3 at Artist Reception|
|6:00pm – 8:00pm||Participating Artist Reception|
|Wednesday||All Day||Artists paint in and around Dexter|
|Thursday||All Day||Artists paint in and around Dexter|
|Friday||8:00am – 9:00am||Participating Quick Draw Artists (professional & emerging) deliver framed, ready-to-hang Plein Air Painting Competition artwork and any reserve paintings, as well as simultaneously register for Quick Draw at the Tent Gallery in Monument Park. Have canvas/paper stamped for Quick Draw.|
|8:00am – 11:00am||Coffee & donuts for artists in Monument Park|
|9:30am – 12:30pm||Quick Draw Competition is held. Artists have three (3) hours to paint single painting in the designated Quick Draw Boundary.|
|10:00am – 11:00am||Professional Artists (not participating in the Quick Draw) deliver framed Plein Air Competition paintings and reserve paintings to the Tent Gallery in Monument Park|
|11:00am – 12:00pm||Emerging Artists (not participating in the Quick Draw) deliver framed, ready-to-hang Plein Air Competition paintings to the Tent Gallery in Monument Park|
|12:30pm – 1:30pm||Quick Draw Artists deliver framed. ready-to-hang Plein Air artwork to the Tent Gallery in Monument Park|
|1:00pm – 4:00pm||Judging|
|2:00pm – 4:00pm||Artist’s Choice Award Voting Period (bring ballots to the Welcome Table)|
|2:00pm – 9:00pm||Friday Night Exhibit with artwork available for immediate purchase|
|2:00pm – 8:30pm||Meet and Greet with Artists & Beer/Wine Reception in the Tent Gallery|
|5:00pm – 5:30pm||Award Ceremony in the Tent Gallery|
|5:30pm – 6:00pm||Winning Artists Photographs|
|7:00pm – 9:00pm||Musical Entertainment in Monument Park Gazebo|
|Saturday||9:00am – 8:00pm||Saturday Exhibit & Art Sales|
|12:00pm – 5:00pm||Musical Entertainment in the Tent Gallery|
|12:00pm – 7:30pm||Beer/Wine Reception in the Tent Gallery|
|8:00pm||Tent Gallery Closes|
|8:10pm – 9:00pm||Artist pick-up of any unsold artwork. No early pick-ups.|
How to Wire a Painting like a Pro!
Commissions on Sold Artwork
A 30% commission on all artwork sold during the Paint Dexter Plein Air Festival will be retained by the Dexter Arts, Culture & Heritage Committee, with all event sales handled by the City of Dexter. All proceeds from the art sale will go towards funding the Dexter Arts, Culture & Heritage Committee.
Payment to artists for work sold will be typically be mailed within 30 days after the event ends.