WanChuan Kesler was born in Taipei, Taiwan. Growing up on this Pacific island, she loved the lavish colors and the abundant textures from the mountains and ocean. The natural beauty of this lush island sharpened her senses and influenced her ability and expression of art. In addition, she found inspiration from the energetic city life in metropolitan Taipei.
WanChuan now lives in a rural area near Detroit, Michigan, where the multicultural environment with the rich history adds another dimension to her Asian heritage and broadens her artistic talents. Studying at the Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center in Michigan for five years and participating in plein air landscape painting workshops in Italy have given her the opportunity to further her artistic direction.
Working primarily in oil, WanChuan paints with strategic brush strokes and bold, expressive textures. Her artwork exhibits her diverse interests, influenced by both the urban and natural environment; and includes cityscapes, figures, and the beauty of nature. She has exhibited and won awards in many reputable fine art competitions, including Michigan Fine Arts Competition, Greater Michigan Art Exhibition, Scarab Club Silver Medal, Michigan Annual, Boston Mills Artfest, and the Ann Arbor Art Fair. She’s had many solo exhibits and curated exhibits in prominent galleries and museums, including Detroit Carr Center, Northville Art House, Birmingham Unitarian Church, Canton Museum of Art National Art Show, and Garrett Museum of Art.
Painting is a passion I have since childhood. The world around is the inspiration for my creativity. I strive to evoke emotion in my paintings by capturing the moments of events with people I meet, our surroundings, and the way we interact with each other, using expressive brush strokes and passionate colors. It is perpetually fascinating to me how an object of art could speak to us without any language barrier. I would like my paintings to speak of life, of love, and of humanity.
Oil is my favorite painting medium and my painting subjects include cityscapes, figures, and the beauty of nature. I offer original paintings, as well as giclee and print reproductions of my most popular pieces.
- Robert Porreca | WanChuan Kesler Two-person show 2021 Garrett Museum of Art
- “DongFeng” Solo exhibit 2014 Northville Art House
- “City of women” Five-women show 2013 The Carr Center Detroit
- Solo exhibit, 2012, Birmingham Unitarian Church
- Solo exhibit 2010, 2012 Art In Bloom Gallery
- Solo exhibit 2010 Nancy Fox Gallery
- Juried art fair: Ann Arbor Art Fair, Birmingham Art Fair, Boston Mills Artfest, Franklin Art in the Village, Canton Museum of Art, Great Lakes Art Fair
- Honorable Mention, 2022 Our Town, Birmingham, Michigan
- Third Place Award, 2019 Grosse Pointe Art Center Detroit: Celebrating The City From All Angles Exhibit, MI
- Award Of Excellence top award, 2017 Boston Mills Artfest, Akron, OH
- Best Of Show, 2015 Grosse Pointe Art Center Everything Goes Exhibit, MI
- Second Place Award, 2015 Studio West Gallery juried art show, Brighton, MI
- First Place Award in traditional oil/acrylic category, 2014 Boston Mills Artfest, Akron, OH
- First Place Award, Open Art Competition Alfred Berkowitz Gallery, U of M, Dearborn, MI
- Juror’s Award, 2013 All Media Show, Northville Art House, Northville, MI
- Second Place, “Paint Dexter Plein Air Festival” quick draw event, 2013
- First Place Award, 2012 “Sharing the Gift Within You, First Presbyterian Church of Northville
- Second Place, “Scarab Club Silver Medal” competition 2012, Detroit, Michigan
- First Place Award, 2011 “Outside In” Northville Art House, Northville, MI
- Award of Excellence, 2011 “Sharing the Gift Within You, First Presbyterian church of Northville
- Red Ribbon Award, “Art Harvest” competition 2011, Howell Opera House, Michigan
- “Art Commissioner’s Award” 2010 at Livonia Fine Arts Competition, Michigan
- Honorable Mention, “Scarab Club Silver Medal” competition 2010, Detroit, Michigan
- Blue Ribbon Award, “Art Harvest” competition 2009, Brighton, Michigan
- Juried exhibits: Michigan Fine Arts Competition, Birmingham Our Town, Michigan Annual, Scarab Club Silver Medal, Greater Michigan Art Exhibition at Dow Museum of Art, Grosse Pointe Art Center, Lawrence Street Gallery, Northville Art House All Media Exhibit, Ann Arbor Art Center All Media Show